Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Q&A from the Comments

Time to catch up on some of your questions! Before we get to that, just a reminder that I'll be at the LTUE event at BYU this weekend (11th-13th), including a signing on Friday at noon in the bookstore and a reading of THE SCORCH TRIALS on Saturday at 6:00. I'll also be speaking on several panels. For details, CLICK HERE.

As for the Superbowl, I didn't care who won since my Falcons weren't there. But I really, really wanted overtime so I was very upset when Mr. Manning threw that interception instead of tying up the game. Boo.

One more thing: We're very, very close to revealing the cover for THE BLADE OF SHATTERED HOPE, Book 3 of THE 13TH REALITY. Stay tuned!

Okay, onto your questions...

First off, as always, THANK YOU for all the nice words, congrats, etc. in the comments that continue to perk me up throughout the day. I read them all and love getting them!!!

Quite a few people asked when my next two books will be coming out. Book 3 of THE 13TH REALITY comes out April 6, and Book 2 of THE MAZE RUNNER comes out October 12th.

Charles: Is the latest generation more or less creative because of all the visual media that is so prevalent now? I would say more only because I feel that movies and television really influence my writing, just as much as books in terms of IDEAS. Though if you want to be a writer, reading books is first in priority because that's the best education on HOW to write.

Anonymous: Will there be a 13TH REALITY movie? Nothing in the works as of yet, I'm afraid. However, THE LIGHTNING THIEF comes out this Friday, so we can all be happy!

Erin G: How important is research to your writing? Well, I make most of my stuff up, so I only do a little. However, when I do reference something that needs to be authentic, I look it up. And I always try to have the proper background for the science I throw in.

Karen: Will you be coming to Honolulu anytime soon? Nothing on the schedule, but maybe I need to do something about that! I've never been there, would love to visit.

Emchien asked about more specific details on LTUE. Basically, you just need to know that everything is on the 3rd floor of the Wilkinson Center, and you can find everything from there pretty easily. EXCEPT for the signings, which I believe will be in the bookstore.

SPOILER ALERT! "It's what I want to be" asked who Minho and Zart were named after in TMR. Well, since this book is in the future, I purposefully had a couple of the names come from people who don't exist yet. Like Minho. But Zart is named after a famous composer. Begins with a Mo. END SPOILER ALERT!

Epsilon: How do you pace your writing during the day so as not to get burned out? When I'm in full first draft writing mode, I like to do an hour or two first thing in the morning, then do another session that afternoon, sometimes after seeing a movie to juice up my creativity factory. Other things to do in between are answering email, blogging, taking care of author business stuff, etc.

Aubrey (aka Stacey): How was your trip to California? We had a great time! We got really lucky because the big series of rain storms didn't hit until we were just about done. Although that did make our flight get cancelled and force us to stay an extra day and watch the rain. But we had perfect weather for Sea World and Lego Land. Kids loved it! Dad (that's me) ate lots of junk food!

Libby D: Any events in SoCal soon? I think there's a very good chance I'll be coming there for one of the tours for my releases this year. Stay tuned for the schedules!

Anna: How do we go about booking you for a school visit? Well, due to the time constraints of trying to have two series going on at once, I'm really only doing school visits during the release tours. The best way to make that happen is to go through your local bookstore, and have them go through their contacts with Random House or Shadow Mountain/Simon & Schuster. Thank you for your interest!

Jessica: What was your inspiration for TMR? I think the three things that shaped my ideas for this story the most are: The books ENDER'S GAME and LORD OF THE FLIES, and the TV show LOST.

Jan von Hartz: THANKS for including me in the St. Louis Book Battle. That's so cool and I'm very honored!

Editor Tyler: Any way I can get your autograph? I do lots of events, so stay tuned and try to catch me sometime, okay?

SandPMom: Any relatives in Maryland? Well, I have two brothers and a couple of cousins in that area...

That's about it for now. Thanks again for hanging out with me here, and we'll talk again soon. I hope to see some of you at BYU this weekend!

29 comments:

Aubrey said...

Glad you missed most of the rain!

Thanks for the answers. I wish I could make it to BYU this weekend, but I don't think it's going to happen. Darn.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to be at LTUE this weekend so it will be great to see you!

April release for 13th 3? YAY! I'm super excited about that! The last one ended so GREAT and I'm all in a whirl about what terrible tortures are in store for certain people.

Taffy said...

James Q. I think you are no longer writing fourth grade level books therefore your thinking is no longer on that level so...

Maybe I'll see you @ BYU this weekend.

What was the last amazing movie you've watched??

Unknown said...

I'm gonna be helping my mom move this weekend, so I'll be missing LTUE again, unfortunately. But I'm on board for Storymakers, so I'll see you there.

emily said...

Thanks for answering my questions! I'm excited for LTUE and happy to know it's in the WSC, it's pretty much my second home. See you Friday!

James Dashner said...

Aubrey aka Stacey and Graham, we'll miss you. LT, Taffy, and emchien, don't rub it in too much how much fun they're gonna miss!!!

Does anyone ever look back to see if I responded to their comment? I doubt it.

Where is everybody else? Slow day on the comment train.

Candice said...

I just finished The Maze Runner. I read it all in one day and was up until 5 AM (somehow my five-yr-old didn't get the memo and still woke me up at 7). I found the story to be very compelling, and I was especially impressed by your world building. I'm looking forward to hearing you speak at LTUE and learning how to better build the worlds in my own books.

Ender said...

Just finished the Maze Runner. Loved it. Do you have an FAQ page? Would love to know what books you recommend. Btw, how'd you like the LOST premiere? My fav moment was seeing Jack get (kung) fu'd by Dogen.

Gavin Chatterley said...

Thanks for responding to my comment. I did post a couple other questions a while back, but no big deal. I'm patient.

Noone said...

Haven't had school for a while... Snow. I've had tons of time to read the maze runner again and expand the dictionary on www.thegladers.info!

OMSH said...

I have pre-ordered Book 2 and we are buying the 13th Colony books already published because WE LOVE YOUR IMAGINATION and style!

Erin G. said...

Ah! My comments aren't posting! Haha.

Thanks for answering my questions. Can't wait for 13th Reality or Scorch Trials!

Thanks for being awesome!

numberonedashnerfan said...

I will hopefully see you on saturday.....my solo is today for orchestra:S ..............

Dave said...

Dash,

Here we go again....Maze ALL OVER AGAIN where your East Coast fans (or # 1 East Coast fans rather) have to wait for a one time shot to see you again in NY. AArrgghh! Well, you are worth the wait, so you know we will be waiting for you! Good luck with both releases!

Dave and the fam

Stacy said...

Mr. Dashner,
Hello, this is Stacy writing from Salt Lake City, UT. My 10-year-old nephew is one of your biggest fans. He follows your blog, and just called me to ask if I would go see you at LTUE to get your autograph (since he can't make it from Idaho). I was sad to see he missed the fact you've already done your signing for the weekend. Will you be doing any autographs after your reading of THE SCORCH TRIALS tomorrow? If so, I'd love to make the trip down south to see you. Please advise.

James Dashner said...

Stacy, yes, I'm happy to sign books anytime! I hope you can make it.

Stacy said...

Wonderful! I'll see you tonight :)

Stacy said...

Plan B? My husband just admitted he has an early Valentine's Day surprise for me tonight, so I won't be able to make it to LTUE after all. Do you know when your next event is in Utah?

Jack Porter said...

Hey James, this is Jackson, the duder you met at LTUE. I loved The Scorch Trials reading and my 60 year old grandparents were completely excited I met you.

Have a good Valentines Day and Presidents Day.

Jackson

numberonedashnerfan said...

HAPPY VALENITINES DAY!!!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I won a contest James and got to choose any author from LTUE to have sign a book for me - guess who I chose? So when Jenn Johansson brings you a book for someone named Shannon...it's me! Woo-hoo! :-)

Clancy said...

James, LTUE was amazing and I learned so much from you, Brandon, Dan Wells, and many more. I saw this article on The Spectacle about The Maze Runner and wondered if you'd seen it...
http://thespectacleblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/puzzle-world-plots/

Thanks for being so accessible.
Clancy

Karyn said...

I went to LTUE, and you were great. Very funny guy! I just wanted to say that you said something, during (I believe) the second recording of Writing Excuses, that was the absolutely the best advice I received during the entire conference. And I think you thought it was just a stupid comment. You didn't really know how to answer someone's question, and you said, "I don't know, I just follow my instincts." You even apologized for that not being a very good answer. I just want you to know that that is the one comment from the conference that replays itself over and over in my mind. It taught me that no matter what else I learned, no matter what anyone says I should do, I should just follow my instincts. Thank you!

Lula! said...

Why you are my people:

The Falcons weren't in the Superbowl. There goes my interest. I did pull for the Saints, since they're a southern team and all.

And I just KNEW "Lost" had to be an inspiration for The Maze Runner. Both are brilliant. I've spent much time on Twitter/my blog bragging about Lost and The Maze Runner. See, I'm your biggest fan. (I'm @lula34. Yes, that's me being obnoxious about TMR on Twitter. I own up to it.)

Panda Queen said...

Aahhh!Okay. Now the Minho thing makes sense.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Called B&N at Jordan Landing today and heard a recording about your awesome 13th Reality book 3. Man, you are everywhere! Congrats!

x-tra said...

You really loaded your blog with quality material. Indeed, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need.

www.n8fan.net

Anonymous said...

You are such an awesome person in general! I love your books and everything; the movie for Maze Runner was totally legit. I really want you to come to SLC so my friends and I can finally meet you (and have WORDS about Newt.) We are all Gladers at heart over here! Much awesomeness is being thrown your way by an 8th grade Runner and her friends!You rock!
~SK
"Great, we're all bloody inspired."

Rebecca said...

Your books are amazing! Wish you could come for a school visit in the UK! Have fun writing more nail-biting, awe inspiring, edge of your seat wondrous books for us all to share and enjoy! Lots of love from the Wales!!!!